Air conditioning maintenance is an essential part of keeping the cooling system in a home working as efficiently as possible. Changing the air filter on a regular basis ensures that clean air is being properly circulated throughout a home. Adding one more task to the household to-do list may seem overwhelming, but changing air filters with the change of the seasons is a great way to remember when to do this essential task.
The Role of an Air Filter
The air filter in an air conditioning system works to keep the air clean before it is circulated into a home. This filter is essential for indoor air quality. Air filters are located adjacent to the air handler in a cooling system. A fan blows conditioned air through the filter.
The Importance of Changing Air Filters
An air filter plays an important role in the function of an air conditioning system. Failing to change an air filter after it has become dirty can cause costly problems.
- Dirty filters force an air conditioning system to work harder to circulate air throughout a home. The strain put on the system can cause permanent damage that will require costly repairs or a complete replacement.
- Air that is forced through dirty filters is riddled with allergens and other pollutants that could make occupants of a home ill. This dust also exasperates allergy symptoms.
- Conditioned air may not be able to circulate throughout an entire home if filters are dirty or clogged. Some rooms may be uncomfortable because of this uneven cooling issue.
- Inefficient cooling systems cause utility costs to increase.
Reasons to Change Filters With the Seasons
Changing filters on a regular schedule is important to avoid the issues outlined above. While filters should be checked every month, they will not need to be changed this often. It is recommended that filters be changed as the seasons change. There are reasons for choosing this schedule.
- Filters are most likely to be heavily dirty after a season of use. The start of fall is the perfect time to change filters for this reason.
- Filters that have not been checked on a regular basis may be dirty at the beginning of the hot season. Checking the filter and changing it at the start of summer ensures that families will stay cool throughout the season.
- Changing filters with the change of the seasons makes it easy for homeowners to remember when they need to complete this task.
Get Help With Air Conditioning Maintenance
While changing filters is one task that homeowners can tackle on their own, air conditioning maintenance involves many complicated tasks that are essential to the efficient and effective operation of a cooling system. Dyess Heating & Air has been providing air conditioning services to customers in Georgia for more than 30 years. Contact Dyess today to schedule a service appointment or to request more information about maintenance plans.